Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Defining the Details: Barge Board

Have you ever driven along a street and seen beautiful trim along the roof line shaped in the form of  shamrocks, gingerbread or other decorative styles? This decoration is called barge board. You will also see it referred to as decorated verge boards. It is typically attached to the gables of the house.

Barge board on historic homes  is made from wooden planks. Today you may see reproductions made from composite materials.

Board board is most likely to be found on a Tudor, Gothic Revival or Queen Anne style home. In Massachusetts you will likely find barge board on Greek and Gothic Revival style homes in the mid to later 19th century and on Queen Anne style homes in the late 19th century and early 20th century.

No comments:

Post a Comment