According to former Medway town historian, Francis Donovan, the road has been known as The Road to the Wilderness, The Old County Road, The Middle Post Road, and now as Village Street. The road was originally laid out in 1670 and is home to many beautiful old houses today. The oldest house still standing on Village Street and dating to 1770,is at the corner of Village and Lovers Lane but has seen many changes and additions over the years. Another comparable house is the Major Luther Metcalf House which dates to 1792. Part of Village Street near Town Hall is contained in the Medway Village Historic District which is honored as part of the National Register of Historic Places.
Enjoy this virtual tour of Village Street, Medway.